Invisalign Care and Cleaning Guide: Keep Your Aligners in Exceptional Condition
Invisalign clear aligners are a popular choice for patients seeking a comfortable and discreet way to straighten their teeth. However, proper care is essential for keeping your aligners in excellent condition between appointments. In this Invisalign care and cleaning guide, Dr. Grussmark, one of the best Invisalign providers in Miami, FL, has compiled some easy-to-follow tips to help you maintain exceptional care and achieve the best results.
The Importance of Invisalign Care
Taking proper care of your aligners is critical for maintaining their effectiveness and integrity, as well as promoting good dental health and preventing discoloration or staining of your teeth. Neglecting to care for your aligners can result in damage, decreased comfort, and increased risk of oral health issues such as tooth decay or gum disease.
Invisalign Care Tips to Keep in Mind
To keep your aligners in top condition, follow these tips:
- Remove Aligners Before Eating or Drinking: Avoid eating or drinking anything except plain water while wearing your aligners. This will help prevent staining and keep your aligners looking their best.
- Brush and Floss Before Reinserting Aligners: Before inserting your aligners, it’s crucial to clean your teeth and remove any food particles that may be stuck between them. This will help prevent bacteria buildup and ensure your aligners stay clean.
- Clean Aligners Before Reinserting: Rinse your aligners with lukewarm water before putting them back in your mouth. This helps remove any bacteria that may have accumulated while your aligners are out.
- Rinse Aligners After Cleaning: After cleaning your aligners, rinse them thoroughly with lukewarm water. This will help remove any cleaning solution residue and ensure your aligners are clean before inserting them back into your mouth.
- Clean Aligners with Approved Methods: Denture cleaners, mouthwash, and toothpaste are too abrasive and can damage your aligners. Instead, use a soft-bristled toothbrush without toothpaste to gently brush your aligners.
- Store Aligners When Not in Use: When you’re not wearing your aligners, store them in a safe and secure place. This will help prevent them from getting lost or damaged.
- Plan for Travel: If you’re planning to travel, pack your current, previous, and next set of aligners. You may need more aligners for a longer trip.
How to Clean Your Invisalign Aligners
Follow these simple steps to keep your aligners clean:
- Rinse your aligners under lukewarm water that isn’t too hot or cold.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush without toothpaste to gently brush your entire aligner, inside and out. Try to use small, circular motions for the best results. Toothpaste can weaken your aligners and make them more prone to damage.
- After you’ve finished brushing, rinse the aligner again with lukewarm water.
- Soak your aligner in the Invisalign Cleaning System to remove any tartar buildup. We recommend soaking your aligners once a day in the Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- After cleaning your aligner, you can either put it back in your mouth or a case dry it.
FAQs About Invisalign Home Care
Remove your Invisalign aligners before drinking any carbonated beverage, including sparkling water. The carbonation can cause the aligners to become dislodged or create pressure on your teeth, which can be uncomfortable.
Yes, smoking or chewing tobacco can cause your Invisalign aligners to become discolored or stained. Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco while wearing your aligners.
No, it’s not recommended that you store Invisalign aligners in water. Instead, leave them in their protective case when they’re not in your mouth. If you need to clean your aligners, use a specialized Invisalign cleaning solution or simply brush them with water and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
It doesn’t matter whether you switch to a new set of Invisalign aligners in the morning or at night, as long as you follow the recommended wear schedule provided by your Invisalign provider. Typically, you will wear each set of aligners for one to two weeks before switching to the next in the series.
Maintain Your Aligners for the Best Results
Proper care and cleaning of your Invisalign aligners are essential for maintaining good oral health and effective treatment. By following your orthodontist’s instructions, you can keep your aligners clean, clear, and comfortable throughout your treatment journey. With exceptional home care and dedication to treatment, you can achieve the beautiful, healthy smile you’ve always wanted with Invisalign.
To learn more, call our Miami, FL, office at (305) 441-1200 to schedule a consultation. You can also book an appointment online by filling out our contact form.