Straighter Teeth Without Restriction
Wearing traditional metal braces requires you to avoid certain foods. With Invisalign, you don’t have to limit what you can eat as long as you remove your aligners during mealtimes. You’ll be able to enjoy all the foods you love without hampering your treatment.
Food Tips for Daily Wear
Though you can eat or drink anything during Invisalign treatment, there are a few precautions you’ll want to take to preserve your aligners.
Never eat anything while wearing your aligners, as this can damage or ruin them.
Only drink water while your aligners are in. Hot beverages can warp your aligners and juices or wines can stain them.
Thoroughly brush and floss your teeth after meals before putting aligners back in.
Carefully plan out your meals. You have to wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day, which leaves little time for snacking.
Habits to Consider Avoiding
Removing your aligners before meals can save you a headache of trouble, but there are still some additional tips you may want to follow to get the most out of your Invisalign treatment.
- Gum — Chewing gum isn’t good for your oral health without aligners, and it isn’t good with them either. Gum leaves a sticky residue on your teeth and can alter your bite.
- Teeth stainers — Some of the most common culprits of stained teeth include coffee, red wine, soda, and berries. If you don’t brush your teeth after consuming foods and beverages such as these, your aligners may become stained.
- Hard or chewy foods — Crunchy foods like corn nuts can damage your teeth and chewy candy, like caramel, make your teeth more prone to decay.
- Carbonated beverages — Sugary drinks can lead to tooth decay, and even sugar-free sodas contain high levels of acid that can destroy your enamel.
- Tobacco — Smoking or chewing tobacco can cause your teeth to rot in addition to having a negative impact on your overall bodily health.
One of the best advantages you can give yourself during Invisalign treatmetn is to keep up with regular oral hygiene practices.
FAQs About Eating With Invisalign
Your Invisalign aligners must be removed before eating or drinking anything besides water. This includes chewing gum of all kinds. The gum can get stuck on your aligner and be difficult to remove.
Chewing gum while wearing Invisalign can also cause damage to the aligners. Damage to even one aligner can be costly to replace and interrupt your treatment.
If you’d like to chew gum while not wearing your aligners, discuss a sugar-free option with Dr. Grussmark. While chewing gum can help to clear away leftover food in your mouth, sugary gum can lead to more cavities.
While regular water is the best, carbonated water is okay to drink with aligners every once in a while. Carbonated water won’t stain or warp your aligners, but the carbonation can still harm your teeth.
Carbonation makes water more acidic — and acidic drinks cause damage to your enamel. While carbonated water isn’t as acidic as soft drinks, it’s still more likely to cause cavities than regular water. Make sure to properly clean your mouth and aligners if you drink carbonated water.
The best foods to eat during Invisalign treatment are those that will nourish your entire body and support your oral hygiene. These include:
- Dairy products: Cheese and yogurt are full of calcium, healthy fats, and proteins that will nourish your body. They also help to raise the pH of your mouth, which helps to keep harmful bacteria from making a home.
- Fruit & vegetables: Crunchy textures like those of apples or carrots can help your mouth to clear away bacteria by stimulating the production of more saliva. These foods are also full of fiber.
- Berries: Though berries can stain your teeth, they’re also packed with vitamins and minerals. They can also reduce the amount of plaque that builds up on your teeth — just make sure you thoroughly clean your teeth before putting your aligner back in.
Remember to always remove your aligners before eating and to clean your teeth before replacing the aligner.
Ask Dr. Grussmark About Invisalign Care
Dr. Grussmark and all the members of our Coral Gables team are always happy to answer any questions about Invisalign care and cleaning. Feel free to contact us by calling (305) 441-1200 or by sending us a message online.
We want to make sure you’re comfortable with all aspects of the Invisalign treatment process. Don’t hesitate to contact us — no question or concern is unimportant.